Petitions (Prayers of the Faithful)
1. For our Holy Father on earth, the Pope, all the bishops and clergy everywhere that they may lead us to deeper faith in God and a stronger love for others, let us pray to the Lord.
2. For our president and all leaders of government that they may be effective in achieving peace and eliminating poverty, let us pray to the Lord.
3. For married persons that they may continue to give, be able to forgive, and find happiness deepen with the passing of each day, let us pray to the Lord.
4. For N. and N., now beginning their life together, that they may have divine assistance at every moment, the constant support of friends, the rich blessing of children, a warm love reaching out to others, and good health until a ripe old age, let us pray to the Lord.
5. For those who are sick, lonely, discouraged, or oppressed that they may be strengthened by God’s help and aided by their friends, let us pray to the Lord.
6. For those who have died, especially the relatives and friends of N. and N. and of all present for this wedding, that they may enjoy perfect happiness and total fulfillment in eternal life, let us pray to the Lord.
7. For these personal needs which we mention now in silence (pause), let us pray to the Lord.
Priest: (The celebrant may use this or compose a suitable summary prayer with conclusion . . . through Christ our Lord.)
O ever-living and caring God, Jesus taught us to ask, to seek, and to knock. WE have just done so, confident that you will now look upon our many needs, consider our trusting faith, and in your great love grant these requests which we present to you through Jesus Christ our Lord.
1. For leaders of Church and state for heads of institutions, for heads of homes and households, that they will lead us and guide us in the search for God and the good life, in the search for peace and joy, in the search for love among us – – let us pray to the Lord.
2. For all married people: for those who married yesterday, for the new couple N. and N., married today, for those who will marry tomorrow, that they may savor the joy of being together, warm love, and children, a long life, wine, and friends, and a new day, every day – – let us pray to the Lord.
3. For all young single people who look forward to a vocation full of life and full of love – – let us pray to the Lord.
4. For the lonely old and the lonely young, for the hungry rich and hungry poor, for the sick in body, mind, and spirit, for the weakness in all of us – – let us pray to the Lord.
5. For our relatives and friends who walk with us on life’s journey and for those who have gone before us to the other side of life. For the fulfillment of all their unfulfilled desires – – let us pray to the Lord.
Priest: These are our words of prayer today for ourselves and all human beings. Tomorrow there will be others. Lord God the beloved of humankind who has first loved us, give our words by your listening to the power of your word so that all things may be accomplished
sweetly and gently for the happiness of all. Through Christ our Lord.
1. For our Church, to keep the promise of salvation, we pray to the Lord.
2. For our world, to keep the promise of peace, we pray to the Lord.
3. For our country, to keep the promise of freedom, we pray to the Lord.
4. For our parish, to keep the promise of discipleship, we pray to the Lord.
5. For our hearts, to keep the promise of loving, we pray to the Lord.
6. For our hearts, to keep the promise of giving, we pray to the Lord.
7. For our lives, to keep the promise of growing, we pray to the Lord.
8. For this couple, to keep the promise of marriage, we pray to the Lord.
Priest: Father, You have chosen us and given us your love, the power of the Holy Spirit in our midst. Hear our prayers today and keep us open. May our faith issue forth in action, our love show itself in deeds, and our hope give us courage. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Reader: Please respond: Lord, hear our prayer.
1. For the Church, for fidelity in proclaiming the Gospel, for faith in good times and in bad, for unwavering commitment to unity. May God’s people never cease to profess boundless love for all of God’s own. We pray to the Lord. R.
2. For the world and for all peoples, for those without food, shelter or clothing, for those without meaningful work or meaningful relationships, for those without hope, joy or peace. May we be a word of comfort for them and a sign of Christ’s abundant love. We pray to the Lord. R.
3. For our families and friends, for those who gathered here and those far away, for those united in love many years and those just beginning, for those we love and for those we struggle to love. May Christ deepen our bond to each other in God’s strong embrace. We pray to the Lord. R.
4. For N. and N. and all who begin married life today, for peace in times of chaos and confusion, for generosity when there is little to give, for faith in each other and love beyond reason. May their lives be a sacrament of Christ’s irrational, irresistible, and inconceivable love for us all. We pray to the Lord. R.
5. For those in need of healing, for those nearing death, for loved ones who have died, and for all who need our prayers. May nothing ever separate us from the love of God through Christ Jesus. We pray to the Lord. R.
Priest: Faithful God, you are ever for us, giving us only good things and filling our every need. We place our hope in you alone. As we have heard your voice in your Word, and seen you love manifest in this couple today, so make us now you life-giving presence for the world. Fill us with your unfailing Spirit of love, that the prayers we have offered may come to fulfillment in you. We ask this through Christ our Lord.